The Alliance Health Plan is for individuals who are insured by Medicaid.
To be eligible for Medicaid coverage in the Alliance region you must:
- Be a U.S. citizen or provide proof of eligible immigration status
- Be a resident of North Carolina
- Have a Social Security number or have applied for one
- Apply and be approved for Medicaid at your local Department of Social Services (DSS) office
- Be in one of the Medicaid aid categories that qualifies you under the Alliance Health Plan
If you are currently receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Special Assistance to the Blind, Work First Family Assistance or Special Assistance for the Aged or Disabled, you are automatically eligible for Medicaid and do not have to apply at DSS.
Alliance does not allow co-payments, deductibles or other forms of cost-sharing for Medicaid members for Medicaid services per the contract with the NC Department of Health Benefits. In addition, members are not required to pay for missed appointments.
Your Medicaid card serves as your Alliance Health Plan membership card. If your county of Medicaid eligibility is one of the counties we serve, Alliance’s name and toll-free Access and Information telephone number are printed on your card.
You should tell both Alliance and your provider if you have insurance other than Medicaid. This could include Medicare or private insurance. Federal regulations require Medicaid to be the “payor of last resort.” Medicaid pays for services after your other insurance (including Medicare) has processed the claim and made a payment determination.