When you are choosing a provider you should feel free to ask for the information you need to make an informed choice. Here are some examples:
Choosing a Provider
- Can I choose what agency I work with? Can I choose what service I receive with your agency?
- What training have your agency/staff had to work with me and my family?
- What do you expect from me and my family? What can we expect from you or your agency?
- Are there rules that you have to follow? Who do I talk to if I have a problem with the person that’s assigned to work with me? What if I decide not to work with your agency?
Services You Receive
- What services does your agency provide?
- How did you decide what service to request for me or my family/child?
- Who do I contact if I have questions/concerns about the services that your agency is providing?
- How long do you expect to provide this service?
- Is there a time limit to how long I can receive this service?
- What service are you requesting for me and my family?
- What other services is my child/family eligible for?
- What will happen if the services requested on my behalf are not approved?
- How often do you expect to meet? Who should be involved when we meet? Who counts as part of the family treatment team?
- Where are we allowed to meet? Does it have to be in the house every time?
- Will we meet the same amount of time throughout the service or will there be times that you come to the house less?
- Who decides if this service is working? How will we (family/team) know this?
About Your Plan
- Have you given me or my child a diagnosis? Who gets to see that diagnosis? What does that diagnosis mean?
- What is the person-centered plan? Does anyone else get to see this? Can I have a copy?
- What experience do you have with working with families/children like mine?
- How do you plan to help me and my family?
- What techniques will be used to help me and my family reach goals?
- What if I/my child does not reach the goals listed on the plan after two months, four months, six months?
Records and Resources
- What do I need to do if I would like to review information in my/my child’s medical record?
- What other resources are available to me and my family?
- Will your staff have proof that they work with your agency?
- Has your staff had background checks?
- Why do you need my Medicaid number? Who else will have access to my Medicaid number?
- What happens to my information if I stop working with your agency?